January - Luminescence
In a salute to James Cameron’s AVATAR: The Exhibition™, join our own Tinker Task Force as we explore the magic of luminescence.
January 25 - We welcome our guests from Toledo’s Imagination Station.
Explore the science of Cool Light and mix up your own batch of glowing slime.
February - Mechanical BrushBot
Come construct and put your own mechanical BrushBot through our group challenges.
March - Women Innovator Coasters
Join our Tinker Task Force as we salute the women from OnInnovation.com. Make a cool image coaster
Honoring these innovators.
April - Reinvent Detroit Cityscape
Help the Tinker Task Force create a new Detroit using recyclable materials.
Community Maker on April 26th - TechShop Detroit Presents: COMPRESSED AIR PAPER ROCKETS!
May - Making Speakers
In honor of our new exhibit, Women Who Rock: Vision, Passion, Power, we’ll make our own audio speakers. Learn more about the Women Who Rock: Vision, Passion, Power exhibit.
Community Makers for May 31st
- Arts & Scraps Presents: Be Your Own Inventor
Let your creative juices & innovative skills flow! Make your own invention using a variety of materials.
- Kettering Presents - Slingshot Challenge
Construct your own slingshot and then test it out on our launch pad!
June - Making Music
In honor of our Women Who Rock: Vision, Passion, Power exhibit, come make your own guitar.
Community Makers for June 28th
- Ben's Encore: Build Your Own Musical Instrument
Ben's Encore, a local nonprofit that provides opportunities for aspiring musicians and music education, will be building homemade instruments in support of the Women Who Rock exhibit. Come by and check out how to build instruments with household items and even play music with fruits and vegetables! Learn more about Ben's Encore at www.bensencore.com
- U of M-Dearborn – Presents their Sound Workshop
In this hands-on workshop, participants will explore the basics of digital audio and how sound is represented, stored, processed, and even created,
in a computer.
July - Crafty Circuits
Use moldable dough and have fun discovering the secrets of circuits!
Community Maker for July 26th & 27th - Maker Faire™ Detroit
- Join this ultimate celebration of Tinker. Hack. Invent. At The Henry Ford
August - Rocketry
Join the Tinker Task Force as we construct some easy air rockets.
Community Maker for August 30th - ScienceHideout
- Chemistry is Fun, is a program in the Metro Detroit area. Their goal is simple: to get kids interested in chemistry. Their organization helps people realize, through public outreach using demonstrations and experiments, the importance of inspiring young scientists. ScienceHideout, realize just how important it is to put beakers and test tubes in the hands of our younger generations. Come join us for cool chemistry demonstrations and make your own slime to take home! We’ll be in the Museum Plaza from 10am – 2pm.
September - Discovery Camp’s Greatest Hits
Join our Tinker Task Force as we repeat the favorite projects of our summer Discovery Camp.
October - Grossology
Join the ghoulish Halloween fun as we look at the science behind Halloween magic.
November - Touchdown with Gridiron Glory
Come Salute our newest exhibit, Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and explore the science and technology of football.
December - High-Tech Candles
Celebrate the holidays by creating cool flickering LED candles.