In the early 1920s, Henry Ford began locating small hydroelectrically-powered plants in rural southeast Michigan. These "Village Industries" employed local people who could maintain farms while working at the factory. One plant, constructed in Saline in the mid-1930s, operated until 1947. During World War II, workers here processed soybean oil for paints and plastics and machined parts for Pratt & Whitney engines.
From the Collections of The Henry Ford. Gift of Ford Motor Company.
By Request in the Benson Ford Research Center
Get more details in Digital Collections at: