Member Preview of Heroes & Villains: The Art of the Disney Costume
Presented by the Walt Disney Archives
Special Event at Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation®
- June 24, 2022
- Time: 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Location: The Gallery by General Motors
Exclusive, Members-only opportunity
Join us for an exclusive, members-only preview of Heroes & Villains: The Art of the Disney Costume at Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation.
Across nearly every medium Disney has touched, since the earliest days of animation, through innovations in live-action filmmaking, pioneering efforts in television, location-based entertainment and retail, and even gaming—one creative aspect of Disney has been seldom-recognized, but ever-present: that of costume design.
This exhibition explores nearly six decades of films produced by The Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Television, and Disney Theatrical Group, in an effort share with guests the level of craftsmanship and artistry required to produce every costume presented across stage and screen. Incorporating 79 costumes from 32 films and representing 24 different designers worn by 71 different actors, Heroes & Villains: The Art of the Disney Costume will prove to be truly unique and magical experience for guests of all ages.
Using more than 70 original pieces, including ball gowns, sorcerers’ capes, military uniforms, tiaras, and of course glass slippers, the exhibition explores the vision, process, and craft used to create the costumes worn by some of the biggest names in entertainment. Heroes & Villains features costumes from some of Disney’s kindest heroes and toughest villains, as well as insights from designers, photographs, interactives, and a special film.
Exhibition Costume Highlights
- 101 Dalmatians (2000) - Cruella de Vil
- Alice Through the Looking Glass (2016) - Red and White Queen
- Beauty and the Beast (2017) - Belle ball gown, Gaston and Beast
- Cinderella (2015) - Cinderella ball gown
- Hocus Pocus (1993) - Sanderson Sisters dresses and vacuum
- Mary Poppins (1964) - Traveling dress
- Once Upon A Time (2017) - Evil Queen and Hook
- Pirates of the Caribbean (2003) - Jack Sparrow and Barbossa
Not a member?
Become a member today for an invitation to this special day of fun. Then use your membership for benefits like free admission to the museum and village, valid 12 months starting the day you join. .