Past Forward

Activating The Henry Ford Archive of Innovation

Just Added to Our Digital Collections: Gunsolly Carding Mill Images

July 29, 2015 Archive Insight

Gunsolly_99.0.1.2

John Gunsolly operated what is now known as the Gunsolly Carding Mill in Plymouth, Michigan, beginning around 1850.  Henry Ford reportedly remembered childhood visits to the mill with his father, delivering wool, and in 1929 he moved the building to Greenfield Village.  We’ve just digitized 60 images of the building on its original site and throughout its history in the Village, like this one, showing power loom operation in the building (then called the Plymouth Carding Mill) in 1935.  Today, visitors to The Henry Ford can see traditional weaving in action in Liberty Craftworks’ Weaving Shop, itself a former cotton mill.  See more images of Gunsolly by visiting our digital collections.

Ellice Engdahl is Digital Collections & Content Manager at The Henry Ford.

Greenfield Village history, digital collections, Greenfield Village buildings, Greenfield Village

Facebook Comments