The Teacher Fellow Program was created in 2009 with the desire to increase communication and collaboration between classroom teachers and The Henry Ford. This “by the teachers, for the teachers” forum utilizes a “co-creation” method to construct new education products and ideas that employ The Henry Ford’s extensive collection in an innovative and engaging way. Since 2009, over 40 teachers from over 25 school districts and two states have completed this program, putting in a combined 3,500+ hours.
These teachers represent a diverse group of educators who teach a variety of subjects at public, private, charter, and vocational schools to students of all ages. Since its creation, the Teacher Fellow Program participants have made a significant contribution to the educational products available from The Henry Ford. They are conversant in the resources and content available from The Henry Ford and integrate it into their regular classroom curriculum. And they have formed ongoing relationships with other engaged, dynamic teachers and THF staff.
The Education and Learning Department at The Henry Ford selects teachers each year through a competitive application process to participate in this unique program. During the onsite work session,Teacher Fellows experience what it’s like to work at a museum: learning in-depth about an upcoming project; meeting with curators, educators, and other staff on the project; brainstorming, dialoguing, and revising as they create the resource; and of course occasionally enjoying frozen custard in Greenfield Village! Finally, they “test” their product in their own classrooms and on a field trip in the fall. The Henry Ford’s staff then continue work on the product and eventually share it with other educators and students who use The Henry Ford in their teaching and learning. Ultimately, this program gives educators a challenging and fun way to enhance not only their professional careers, but also their capabilities as teachers and individuals.
2017 Teacher Fellow Project
Please stay tuned for information on the summer 2017 Teacher Fellow project! Updated info expected in late winter, 2017.
September 26, 2016 - Teacher Fellow Alumni Meet up at Fall Educator Open House
- Currently teaching
- Experience with current national and state standards (as applicable to subject area)
- A collaborative and creative disposition
- Available to be onsite at The Henry Ford during prescribed dates
- Flexibility and freedom to do test implementation in fall of the resource with own students & participate in follow up meeting
- Resource will use The Henry Ford's standard format. The Henry Ford reserves right to review, edit and change work, as with all museum staff work.
- $750 honorarium
- SCECHs (pending approval)
- Free field trip (admission) up to 40 students to test the project
- Free one-year family membership to The Henry Ford
- Food while working onsite
- Collaborative development of a resource that will be used by many other teachers & students
- Recognition and possible speaking role at future Educator Open House
- Invitation to participate in alumni events and consulting opportunities, which include admission to The Henry Ford and refreshments