Onsite and Virtual Events
Sensory-friendly events for guests on the autism spectrum and with sensory processing disorders are scheduled throughout the year. For more information, please contact email@example.com. Sensory-friendly events at The Henry Ford are made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (Grant MA-245773-OMS-20).
Virtual Sensory-Friendly Events
- Julia Child/Cooking-themed program: July 16, 3:00-5:00 p.m.
Giant Screen Experience
Join us at The Henry Ford's Giant Screen Experience for a customized movie experience designed for those with Autism Spectrum Disorder/Sensory Processing Disorder and their loved ones. Each month we will feature a different film pulled from our regular schedule of high-quality educational documentaries for families.
- Lighting: The house lights stay on throughout the film
- Sound: The sound is turned down for sensitive ears
- Format: No 3D - all movies are played in regular format, eliminating concerns about 3D glasses
- Length/Topic: 30- to 45-minute documentary films, appropriate and engaging for all ages
- Environment: Stress-free and welcoming
- Concessions: Available at the Giant Screen Experience Lobby
- Sensory-friendly days are free thanks to a generous grant from the Institute for Museum and Library Services, but ADVANCE REGISTRATION is required.
- June 10, 11:00 a.m.-12:50 p.m., "Ratatouille"
- July 8, 11:00 a.m.-12:35 p.m., "The Princess and the Frog"
- August 12, 11:00 a.m.-12:40 p.m., "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"
- September 9, 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m., "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs"
Visits to the Giant Screen Experience are safe for all members of your party. Learn more about our theater safety policies on our website.
To Purchase or Reserve your Seat
*FREE admission to this event is available through a grant from the Institute of Museums & Library Services. Registration is required above.
To prepare for your visit, here are some helpful tips and a social narrative: