Day Out With Thomas™
Special Event at Greenfield Village®
- April 25-26, May 2-3, 8-10, 2020
- Time: 9:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Tickets on sale for Members on March 4, 2020. Tickets on sale for all guests on March 11, 2020.
Witness full-steam delight when your little engineer sees a real Thomas the Tank Engine™ chug into the Greenfield Village station. The legendary, larger-than-life engine is ready to take your family for a ride they’ll never forget.
Pack your day with 80 acres of railroading adventures alongside real engineers and steam locomotives at the only working late 19th century roundhouse in the Midwest. Lessons in mechanics and engineering engage all the senses, inspiring future tinkerers and makers.
Find out more about Sensory-Friendly Saturday designed for guests on the autism spectrum and with other sensory processing disorders.
2019 Ticket Prices
|General Admission (12+)||$11.75||$39.75|
|Children (4 & Under)||$11.75||$11.75|
Parking is $6 per vehicle for nonmembers, free for members.
Your experience includes
- Train Rides
- Meeting Sir Topham Hatt
- Live Music
- Magic Shows
- Imagination Station (including our new IPad Station)
- Shopping and More
Railroader's Breakfast dining experience
Start your little engineer's Day Out With Thomas™ with a hearty Railroader's Breakfast at A Taste of History® Restaurant in Greenfield Village. Call our Contact Center at 313-982-6001 to make your reservations today!
Railroader's Breakfast includes buttermilk pancakes with a choice of toppings, fresh fruit salad, sausage links and more. It’s a scrumptious early-morning way to prepare for a ride with Thomas the Tank Engine™.
Call our Contact Center at 313-982-6001 to make your reservations.
Become a Member and Save
The best way to experience Day Out With Thomas™ at Greenfield Village is as a member of The Henry Ford. Save on event admission (savings start at $34), then use your membership for free admission to the museum and village that day and all year. Plus, membership allows you early access to purchase your Day Out with Thomas tickets before prime time slots sell out.
Tips and Policies
Day of Event Information
- What is Day Out with Thomas™?
- Day Out With Thomas™ is a family event that offers children and their grownups the opportunity to ride with classic storybook friend Thomas the Tank Engine™ at heritage railroads nationwide. Parents, grandparents and siblings join their aspiring engineers in the fun. The Day Out With Thomas experience will engineer miles of smiles for the whole family and introduce a new generation to the timeless excitement of railroading.
- Who is Thomas the Tank Engine™?
- Since Thomas the Tank Engine™ left the depot more than 60 years ago, this Really Useful Engine and his Island of Sodor friends have chugged their way into the hearts of preschoolers and grownups worldwide. Based on The Railway Series of classic stories authored by a father who loved trains and wanted a shared experience with his son, Thomas & Friends™ is a rite of passage that inspires the imagination while teaching the life lessons of friendship, exploration and cooperation.
- What are the appropriate ages for Day Out With Thomas™?
- Day Out With Thomas™ is a family event that welcomes passengers of all ages.
- Where is the event?
- Day Out With Thomas™ takes place in Greenfield Village, part of The Henry Ford. All rides are a roundtrip beginning at Smiths Creek Depot, about ¼ mile from the entrance of Greenfield Village. Please plan on getting to Smiths Creek at least 15 minutes before the departure time printed on your tickets. Smiths Creek is about a 20-minute walk from most parking areas.
- When is the event?
- The 2019 Day Out With Thomas™ event takes place on Saturdays and Sundays, April 27-28, May 4-5, 11-12, 2019.
- When do tickets go on sale?
- March 6, 2019 for members of The Henry Ford and March 13, 2019 for non-members.
- How do I purchase tickets?
- Advance tickets are available for purchase online and through the Call Center at 313-982-6001.
- Who needs tickets?
- Tickets are required for guests ages 1 and up.
- What is included in the ticket price?
- A ticket for Day Out With Thomas™ includes the train ride with Thomas the Tank Engine, as well as a variety of Thomas & Friends themed entertainment, including Storytelling and Video Viewing, Temporary Tattoos of Island of Sodor friends, and an Imagination Station with arts & crafts and more. Guests will also have the opportunity to meet Sir Topham Hatt™, the Controller of the Railway on the Island of Sodor.
- Are discount tickets available?
- There are no discount tickets available for Day Out With Thomas™.
- How will I receive my tickets?
- If purchased two weeks or more in advance of the event, guests will receive their tickets in the mail. Guests who purchase tickets closer to the event date can pick up their tickets at Greenfield Village Will Call the day of the event.
- Are there any refunds?
- There will be no refunds or exchanges.
- Will Thomas the Tank Engine™ be there?
- Thomas the Tank Engine™ has traveled all the way from the Island of Sodor and has arrived right on time to take a ride with you and your family.
- Will Sir Topham Hatt™ be there?
- Yes, Sir Topham Hatt™ will take time away from his busy schedule as Controller of the Railway on the Island of Sodor to meet and take pictures with guests.
- Do you recommend purchasing tickets in advance?
- Due to the popularity of Day Out With Thomas™, advance ticket purchase is highly recommended. Events commonly sell out. When purchasing tickets you will be asked to select a specific date and time for your ride with Thomas. Your ticket is valid only for that date and time.
- What times do trains depart?
- Trains leave every ½ hour from Smiths Creek Depot beginning at 9:30am; last train departs at 4:30pm. Smiths Creek Depot is about a ¼ mile walk from the front entrance of Greenfield Village.
- When should we arrive for our train ride with Thomas?
- It is recommended that guests arrive at the event at least one hour before their scheduled departure. The line will begin ½ hour before each scheduled departure at Smiths Creek Station. Please plan on getting to Smiths Creek at least 15 minutes before the departure time printed on your tickets. Smiths Creek is about a 20-minute walk from most parking areas.
- Is there assigned seating on the train?
- There is open seating on each of the five open-sided cars. Seating is first come, first served for all scheduled departures.
- How long is the train ride?
- The ride is approximately 20 minutes and runs the entire perimeter of Greenfield Village.
- Are you limited to just one train ride?
- There is one train ride per ticket.
- Is there parking available on site?
- Plentiful parking is available. Please note that Smiths Creek Depot is a 20 minute walk from most parking areas.
- Is there an additional cost for parking?
- Nonmembers of The Henry Ford are charged a $6.00 parking fee per ticket order at the time of ticket purchase. Members park free.
- What if there is inclement weather?
- Day Out With Thomas events take place rain or shine.
- Are cameras allowed?
- Absolutely! Guests are encouraged to capture their Day Out With Thomas memories for their photo album. A professional photographer will also be on hand to take photos that will be available for purchase if so desired.
- Will there be food available?
- A variety of food and snacks is available at different food stalls, and restaurants throughout Greenfield Village, and within the Day Out With Thomas Activity area.
- Are strollers permitted?
- Day Out With Thomas is a family event that welcomes guests of all ages. There is even a designated area for “stroller parking” during the train ride.
- Is the event handicap accessible?
- A specially designed section of one of our railcars is available to accommodate a variety of wheelchairs and family members.
Program Tips & Accessibility Information (PDF)
- Are pets allowed?
- No pets are allowed at Day Out With Thomas.
April 25-26, May 2-3, 9-10, 2020 | 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. (Doors open at 7:15 a.m.)
After a hearty pancake breakfast, enjoy a memorable ride with Thomas the Tank Engine™. There’s music by the Picks & Sticks Stringband, too, along with railroad-themed storytelling and a visit with our very own Village Hobo and Sir Topham Hatt!
April 25-26, May 2-3, 9-10, 2020 | 8:00 - 9:00 a.m. (Doors open at 7:15 a.m.)