A Walk Through the J.R. Jones General Store
12 artifacts in this set
This store, originally located in Waterford, Michigan, was the first building Henry Ford brought to Greenfield Village. From 1882 to 1888, storekeeper J. R. Jones sold products like coffee, sugar, fabric, and shoes here.
The right side of the store is stocked with men's ready-made clothing, clothing accessories, hats, fabrics, and sewing notions.
Customers from the 1880s era might have gathered around the stove in cooler weather, while J. R. Jones's desk takes up the back corner.
This image, showing the left side of the store from the rear, reveals a range of store stock--from agricultural supplies to household equipment to groceries.
Notices like these, posted on the back right wall of the store, would have informed local community members about upcoming events, new products, and other items of interest.
The grocery "department" on the left side of the store includes a selection of cheeses in the cheese "safe." The safe keeps out flies and vermin.
The left side of the store features a large grocery "department" with a cigar case on the counter up front.
According to a later interview with J. R. Jones, he stocked the first "department" on the left side of the store with boots and shoes.
According to period photographs, a case of cigars was often featured at the front of general stores, as recreated here.
A case of showy "fancy goods" for gift-giving, like the one pictured here, was often featured at the front of general stores.
A large selection of tableware includes a range of styles, types, and costs for the wants and needs of different customers.
Baseballs are displayed in the front window, as period newspapers reported that a baseball team called the Lah-de-dahs played in Waterford at this time.