Just Added to Our Digital Collections
24 artifacts in this set
"Nude is Not a Color" Quilt, Made by Hillary Goodwin, Rachel Dorr, and Contributors from around the World, 2017
Fashion and cosmetics companies have long used the term nude for products made in a pale beige--reflecting loghter skin tones and marginalizing people of color. After one company repeatedly dismissed a customer’s concerns, a global community of quilters produced this quilt to oppose this racial bias. To create the shirt designs, the women chose fabric that best represented their own skin tones.
When it opened in 1940, the Pennsylvania Turnpike ran 140 miles between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. It was soon extended another 100 miles east to Philadelphia. The turnpike included seven tunnels through the rugged Allegheny Mountains. Six of those tunnels originally were built in the 1880s for the never-completed South Pennsylvania Railroad.
Ford Motor Company returned to Le Mans in 2016 with the Ford GT. Designers refined the car working with this full-size clay model. While computer-aided design was a powerful tool, it was still no substitute for traditional clay. Designers could view the clay model in natural daylight, cover it with film to mimic paint, and easily change its malleable surface.
Founded in Pittsburgh in 1897, the Autocar Company built automobiles until 1911, when it changed over to building heavy-duty trucks. Autocar's Type XX automobile was suitable for commercial use in taxicab service. This example is seen outfitted as a taxi in 1909. Autocar was acquired by White Motor Company in 1953.
With the postwar economy booming, Ford saw a need for a new automobile to fit between its low-priced Ford and mid-priced Mercury brands. Edsel, named for former Ford Motor Company president Edsel Ford, was launched with great fanfare in 1957. But an ill-timed recession and the car's unconventional styling, among other factors, resulted in poor sales. Edsel was discontinued after the 1960 model year.
When it introduced its Model A station wagon for 1929, Ford became the first Big Three automaker to offer a factory-built wagon. Ford's panel delivery truck effectively was a station wagon with its rear windows blanked out, and with two doors rather than four. Ford sourced the wood in these vehicles from company-owned forests in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.