Maker Faire® Detroit
Special Event at Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation®
Don’t miss Maker Faire® Detroit’s 10th anniversary, celebrating a decade of makers, entrepreneurs and inventors. It’s the biggest geek-culture party in the Great Lakes and it’s happening at Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation.
This year’s mind-bending invention extravaganza features more art, more biz wizardry and more kid-focused fun than ever, plus a NEW main stage filled with entertainment of all kinds, from music to circus acts and speed talks. Celebrity LeVar Burton will be our master maker emcee, adding geeky gravitas to the festivities.
Explore how the past fuels the future as we activate rarely-seen artifacts from the collections of The Henry Ford. Join us as we fire up historic arcade games, a century-old electric car and our massive steam engines. Even the artisans of Greenfield Village are crashing the midway this year with a new look at wheel-thrown pottery, a mobile glass hotshop and a nail punch tin activity for crafters.
Hard to describe and harder to forget, Maker Faire® Detroit is what happens when thousands of people share their beautiful, crazy genius with you. Enter as a curious visitor and leave as a maker in the spirit of American innovation.
2019 Ticket Prices
|General Admission (12+)||$14||$28|
|Children (4 & Under)||Free||Free|
10th Anniversary Special: All kids $10.
Admission to Maker Faire® Detroit is just $10 for kids 11 and younger. This includes event admission and admission to the limited-engagement exhibition Star Trek: Exploring New Worlds.
Your experience includes
Roll up those sleeves and try something new. From indie gaming to indigo dying, there are hundreds of opportunities to find your next obsession:
- Feel the wild spirit of kinetic creativity from a 40-foot Ferris wheel, the Power Racing Series, or a bowling ball-powered skeeball game.
- Tune up with circuit bender OK Housecat and his one-man orchestra of hacked synthesizers and toys-turned-music-makers at his Maker Faire debut.
- Generate electric energy through a Tesla coil, and be awed by Dlectricity, Detroit’s light art experience.
- Design and build your own marshmallow shooter, play an indie game with its creator, then set off a rocket on our front lawn.
- Create massive works of art with ZotArtz then balance on a bicycle swing with Cirque Amongus.
- Discover the inside story of the out-of-this-world making of In Saturn’s Rings during a Producer’s Talk and custom screening.
Become a Member and Save
The best way to experience Maker Faire® Detroit is as a member of The Henry Ford. Save up to $14 on adult admission, then use your membership for free admission to the museum and village all year long.
Pro Tip: Take the Free Shuttle
Convenient parking and FREE air-conditioned shuttles are available at the University of Michigan-Dearborn Fairlane Campus. Shuttles run from 9:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. during Maker Faire® Detroit. Pick up the shuttle at the parking area, located at 19000 Hubbard Drive in Dearborn, and step off at the front lawn of Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation, in the heart of Maker Faire® Detroit.
Please join us in thanking our partners at the University of Michigan-Dearborn for providing this service to all the tinkerers, hackers, inventors, makers, geeks and guests during Maker Faire® Detroit.
Parking at The Henry Ford
Please note that parking lots at The Henry Ford fill up quickly each morning. If you arrive to Maker Faire® Detroit at lunchtime or later, use the free shuttle.
- Accessible parking is located near the Welcome Center entrance and at the Beech Street entrance from Oakwood Boulevard.
- Greenfield Village Lots: Parking in the Village Road lots across from Greenfield Village is available during the weekend.
- Oakwood Boulevard Lots: Parking is available directly across from and next to Maker Faire® Detroit on Oakwood Boulevard in the Ford Motor Company lots. Please follow the signs and adhere to the instructions of The Henry Ford staff and the Dearborn Police Department.
Affordable Vacation Packages include overnight accommodations and two tickets to two attractions (choose from Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation & Maker Faire Detroit or Greenfield Village & Ford Rouge Factory Tour). Contact the Call Center at 313-982-6001 for more information.
About Maker Faire®
Maker Faire® is the Greatest Show (and Tell) on Earth—a family-friendly showcase of invention, creativity and resourcefulness, and a celebration of the Maker Movement. It’s a place where people show what they are making, and share what they are learning.
Makers range from tech enthusiasts to crafters to homesteaders to scientists to garage tinkerers. They are of all ages and backgrounds. The aim of Maker Faire® is to entertain, inform, connect and grow this community.
The original Maker Faire® event was held in San Mateo, CA and in 2016 celebrated its eleventh annual show with some 1300 makers and 150,000 people in attendance. World Maker Fair® New York, the other flagship event, has grown in five years to 900+ makers and 95,000 attendees. Forty larger scale Maker Faires® occur in cities around the world—Detroit, Atlanta, Berlin, Paris, Rome, Tokyo, and Shenzhen to name a few— and over 150 community-driven, independently organized Mini Maker Faires® are now being produced in the United States and in 37 other countries around the world.
The Henry Ford is not impacted in any way by the recent announcement of the Maker Faire organization in California; we’re looking forward to celebrating our 10th anniversary with our makers, members, and guests July 27-28 at Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation.